Analyzing Florida Industries Integrated Activity
Students assist the Governor in determining which industry is the most important to Florida’s economy! Using task cards provided in the activity, students take notes and analyze four of Florida’s top industries. Once students analyze the information, they rank the industries in order of importance (as determined by the student). Finally, students create a presentation in support of their chosen industry and try to persuade the Governor of their choice.
I created this activity to use in conjunction with chapter 5 of my 4th grade Florida History textbook: Florida’s People, Economy, and Government. However, this can also be used as an independent activity.
Included in this unit is:
1. A page of information for each of Florida’s top four industries (4 full-page task cards). The Lexile levels for these pages range from 700-780.
2. A student assignment page.
3. A graphic organizer for notes.
4. A ranking page to rank the industries.
5. A rubric.
6. An invitation that can be used if the class holds an open house for their presentations.
This activity integrates reading, writing, and speaking skills with social studies and critical thinking.
I also have an interactive notebook that can be used along with this product or both products can be used independently. You can see the Florida history interactive notebook unit here.
To see how I used this product in the classroom, please see my blogpost.