Earth Day Environment-Themed Paired Passages & Writing (Informative & Opinion/Argumentative) – Digital & PDF
This resource includes two sets of leveled non-fiction paired passages or texts with environmental themes for Earth Day. One set has two texts, while the other has texts texts and a chart. The resource also includes reading comprehension quizzes (4 questions on each) and text-based writing prompts. Targeted reading levels are 3rd/4th grades and 5th/6th grades.
The topics of the texts are:
- Palm Oil: Good or Bad?
- The Problem with Toilet Paper
- Which Vehicle is the Most Eco-Friendly?
- Tips for Buying a Car
- Comparison of Car Characteristics Chart
The extended writing prompts provided are for informative and opinion/argumentative writing. Prompts are included for each type of writing, as well as a rubric for each.
This resource is included in both PDF and digital (Google slides) formats. The digital copies are included in both a whole file format and broken into individual pieces to make it easier for teachers to assign the pieces in an online platform.
This product is designed to help students practice for state reading and writing tests such as FSA or MACS. Teachers can choose how to use this product.
The leveled texts can be used together for paired passages or could be used separately. Teachers can also use both the reading comprehension pieces and the writing activity, or choose just one.
These texts can be used as:
– close reading
– reading test practice (includes Multiple Choice, Table Match, & Short Response questions)
– reading comprehension
– paired passages with an extended informational writing prompt.
In order to differentiate, the leveled passages are provided at three different reading Lexile levels:
- Level A – Low, 3rd/4th grade level
- Level B – High, 5th/6th grade level
What is included in this product?
- Palm Oil: Good or Bad? – in 2 levels
- The Problem with Toilet Paper – in 2 levels
- Which Vehicle is the Most Eco-Friendly? – in 2 levels
- Tips for Buying a Car – in 2 levels
- Comparison of Car Characteristics
- A reading comprehension quiz for each reading passage (4quizzes with 4 questions each)
- Answer Key for all questions
- Forests Extended Writing Prompt (Informative)
- Cars Extended Writing Prompt (Opinion)
- Cars Extended Writing Prompt (Argumentative)
- Standards Covered by this Product
- Testing Cover Page
- Testing Bubble/Answer Sheet
- Informative Writing Rubric
- Final Essay Blank Writing Paper
- Digital copies of everything in Google slides.
Please see the preview for even more information and pictures of this product.
Do you need a writing center?
If you are looking for help teaching paired passages, please see my writing center. This product discusses how to teach and organize evidence-based writing.
Free Teacher Resource
For more information on teaching text-based essays, please see my blog post explaining the TEACH strategy.