This is a complete interactive notebook unit with assessments for 2nd Grade Geography for Canada. This 48-page unit includes activities, vocabulary, and map practice. These activities can either be used with a textbook or used as a teacher-led unit.
There are maps of each province, Canada, North America, and the world, as well as a thematic map activity. There is a Venn diagram that can be used for comparing maps and globes.
These (adapted for Canada) standards covered in this unit are:
- Students will use different types of maps (political, physical, and thematic) to identify map elements.
- Students will identify their hometown, province, and North America on maps and globes.
- Students will locate the provincial capital and the national capital on maps and globes.
- Students will label on a map or globe the continents, oceans, Equator, Prime Meridian, North Pole, and South Pole.
- Students will use a map to locate the countries in North America (Canada, United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands.
Three summative assessments are also included.
A complete answer key is included, including photos of each completed page.
This unit was designed with early 2nd graders in mind.
- The activities can either be used as whole-page printables or cut and glued into a notebook.
- As many primary teachers use composition books, the activities were designed to fit their smaller pages.
- The shapes to cut are simple rectangles – and students just glue them on the page.
- The summative assessment was broken into smaller chunks in order to accommodate shorter attention spans.
Topics covered in this product include:
- Essential Question
- Primary Sources
- Map Elements
- Thematic Map
- Political Map
- Canada Map Activity
- Physical Map
- Types of Map Review Activity
- Equator & Prime Meridian
- North Pole & South Pole
- Comparing Maps & Globes Venn Diagram
- Vocabulary Assessment
- World Map: Continents & Oceans Assessment
- North Pole, South Pole, Compass Rose, Maps, & Globes Assessment
A unit title page including title and table of contents is also included.
Please see the preview for even more information and pictures of this product.