Westward Expansion – Should People Have Migrated West?: Paired Passages & Opinion Writing
This is set of leveled paired passages or texts with reading comprehension tests, short-response questions, and extended writing prompts. This unit can be used in reading, writing, or social studies.
The included texts are non-fiction. Four texts are included. Each one focuses on a different topic related to westward expansion. The extended writing prompts provided are for opinion or argumentative writing. Targeted reading levels are 4th – 6th.
This product is designed to help students practice for state reading and writing tests such as FSA and MACS. This resource could also be used as part of a unit on the Westward Movement. Teachers can choose how to use this product.
Included are 4 different texts. Each one is provided on 3 different reading levels.
In order to differentiate, the leveled passages are provided at three different reading lexile levels:
- Level A – Low, 4th grade level
- Level B – Medium, 5th grade level
- Level C – High, 6th grade level
Students read about westward expansion. One text focuses on how and why the United States expanded its borders. The second text discusses life on the emigrant trails. The third text discusses how advances in technology impacted westward movement. The final text focuses on how westward expansion affected Native peoples. Students write an opinion or argumentative essay stating their opinion and supporting it with text evidence.
Teachers can use 2 – 4 texts with writing prompt.
Four reading comprehension tests are included. They have 5 multiple choice questions and 1 short response. Teachers can use these or skip them, depending on how they want to use the unit.
Teachers can differentiate this assignment in different ways:
- Use different reading levels as appropriate.
- Vary the number of passages given to students. There are 4 texts that can be used for opinion writing.
- Assign groups to become experts on one topic, then teach the others. (Jigsaw)
- Use the texts in centers to break up the reading into smaller chunks. One center could be teacher-led.
What is included in this product?
- The United States Expands West Passage – in 3 levels
- Traveling on the Emigrant Trail Passage – in 3 levels
- The Impact of New Technologies on Westward Expansion Passage – in 3 levels
- How Westward Expansion Affected Native Peoples Passage – in 3 levels
- 4 reading comprehension tests with 5 multiple choice and 1 short response question (one test for each passage)
- An extended writing response question for opinion/argumentative writing
- Answer Key for all questions
- Opinion Writing Rubric
- Argumentative Writing Rubric
- Standards Covered by this Product
- Testing Cover Page
- Testing Bubble/Answer Sheet
- Final Essay Blank Writing Paper
Please see the preview for even more information and pictures of this product.