George Washington’s Farewell Address Primary Source Document Analysis Unit
This resource includes excerpts from primary documents which can be taught as individual lessons or as a complete unit.
Students read and analyze Washington’s Farewell Address in order to identify his warnings to Americans. They then read Andrew Jackson’s 1st Inaugural Address and Abraham Lincoln’s 1st Inaugural Address, in order to determine if Washington’s warnings were valid concerns for the nation in the 19th century. An open response question is included, which can be used as a final activity for the unit.
Teachers can extend this unit by using the current events student activity included in this resource. Students research events affecting the U.S. government in the Modern Era, which they can use to extend their analysis of Washington’s warning through the early 21st century.
Topics included in this product are:
– Washington’s Farewell Address (5 sets up extracts and analysis questions)
– Jackson’s 1st Inaugural Address (2 sets of extracts and analysis questions)
– Lincoln’s 1st Inaugural Address (4 sets of extracts and analysis questions)
– Current Events Activity Page
– Open Response Question Page
– Answer Key